We are looking for partners from the open innovation ecosystem to support development of new sustainable binder systems for lower yellowing epoxy coatings.
Why an innovation challenge? At Hexion, we leverage the power of chemistry and our enabling technologies to deliver more sustainable solutions that make this world better, safer and cleaner. We are committed to improving the quality of life for our associates, customers, stakeholders and the communities in which we live and work. But we are convinced that the future of innovation lies in cross-industry opportunities and collaboration.
With our Create the Future challenge, we’re looking for academic, start-ups, and industry partners to help us build a more sustainable world. We are actively searching for more sustainable technologies to improve the UV-resistance of epoxy anti-corrosion coatings.
Challenge topics. Creating the future together
Do you have renewable binders, pigments, or additives for epoxy coatings formulations with improved UV resistance? Even if your solution hasn't been fully-developed yet or the fit might be less than obvious, read the challenge details and register for the webinar to learn more.
- Market accessibility – Hexion global business network is available to amplify participants innovation for various regional markets. Accessibility is subject to Hexion regional business focus and restrictions i.e. freedom to operate (FTO).
- Expertise and Facilities - Hexion in-house experts will support participates from scientific R&D and application knowledge to business development along the entire value chain. This may include access to our global labs and facilities as appropriate.
Three partnership models are considered in this challenge
call. Joint-patent application will be considered if there
is new intellectual property (IP), as well as, Hexion
support for IP generation:
- Research Collaboration – Hexion will work together with universities or research institutes; within the framework of financing for undergraduate thesis, contract research, proposals for external funding or providing access to industry equipment.
- Joint-development– Hexion and participant can work together to share technologies, develop or enhance their products, combine or integrate their technologies, or jointly commercialize a new product.
- Licensing – A business arrangement in which the participant can give Hexion permission to manufacture its product for a specific payment (toll manufacturer).
- Hexion will support grant applications by selected participants.
- Participants are encouraged to indicate the type of funding programs and their requirements in their submitted proposal. Hexion will review funding request after the challenge ends and reach out to selected participants.
- Subject to availability of funding/grant calls and eligibility of the participants.
- The Innovation Challenge Winner will win EURO 5,000; the winning proposal must meet selection criteria and align with Hexion business interest.
- Individual winner who qualify for the cash prize must be aged eighteen (18) years with full legal capacity at the time of registration and are not part of any Hexion entity.
- Winner is solely responsible for the payment of taxes on their respective prizes. Prizes are not transferable.
- Unclaimed prizes will not be awarded and will be processed in a manner compliant with the law. If the prize cannot be awarded for whatever reason, Hexion reserves the right to substitute the prize for another of equal value.
Your journey starts here
Feb 01, 2021
Register to participate to the Webinar
March 02, 2021
Online launch / Webinar
June 30, 2021
Deadline for submission
July 31, 2021
Selection of candidates to meet Hexion experts to refine their proposal
Aug 31, 2021
Selection of 5 semi-finalists
Sept 30, 2021
Open innovation event to announce the winner
Connect with us
Submit your comments or general inquiries regarding these
We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.
- Gunda Kuhlmann
- Innovation Manager at Hexion B.V.